Where is Cat Tien National Park located?
Cat Tien National Park, which is an ideal location for bird watching, is a vast lowland tropical forest and biosphere reserve in southern Vietnam.
It’s home to centuries-old trees, botanical gardens and recreational trails. The park also shelters diverse wildlife, from reptiles at Crocodile Lake to endangered primates and rare birds. Just outside of the park on the Dong Nai river, the Cat Tien archaeological site has ancient temples and artifacts.
Cat Tien National Park Description
Place at 150m-250m above sea level, in Dong Nai Province, south of Vietnam, Cat Tien National Park is a great place to explore and experience the humid rainforest. With a diverse flora and fauna, especially birds, animals, and reptiles …. This is the place where supports a variety of:
- Primary and secondary lowland evergreen forest
- Freshwater wetlands with open lakes and seasonally inundated grasslands
- Indigenous culture of Stieng ethnic people.
What species you may find in Cat Tien?
Cat Tien is famous for 320 birds species, many mammals, reptiles, amphibian…and 435 butterfly species have been confirmed to occur at the national park; Some of them are globally threatened.
Bird species in Cat Tien
- The Paradise for birding and birds photography tour in Vietnam, with list highlight birds: Bar-bellied Pitta, Blue-rumped Pitta, Germain’s peacock pheasant, Siamese fireback, Green-legged Partridge, Orange-necked Partridge, Green peafowl, …
- More with some nice birds: Banded kingfisher, Square-taied Drongo-cuckoo, Thick-billed Green-pigeon, Orange-breasted trogon, Common Flameback, Lesser yellownaped, Laced Woodpeckers, Great-slaty woodpecker, Pale-headed Woodpecker, Black and red broadbill, Banded Broadbill, Blue-eared Kingfisher, Stork-billed Kingfisher, Van hasselt’s Sunbirds, Ruby-checked Sunbird, Crimson Sunbird…
- Some birds we can see on the trails: Violet Cuckoo, Indian Cuckoo, Banded Bay Cuckoo, Purple Sunbird, Stripe-throated Bulbul, Black-headed bulbul, Black-crested bulbul, Greater Coucal,Black Drongo, Greater racket-tailed Drongo, Bronze Drongo, Blue-winged leafbird, Chestnut-fronted leafbird, Common tailorbird, Dark-necked Tailorbird, Ashy Tailorbird , Pale-legged warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler , Grey-faced Tit-babbler, Pin-striped Tit-babbler…
- Some water-birds in Crocodile lake: Woolly-necked Stork, Lesser Adjiutant, Little Egret, Castle Erget, Herons, Purple Swamphen, White-breasted Waterhen, Slaty-legged Crake, Red-legged Crake, …
Wildlife Animals in Cat Tien National Park
Cat Tien is one of the most important sites in Vietnam for the conservation of large mammals.
In addition, due to the strict protection of natural forests, small carnivores (Civets, cats, squirrels, lorises, etc.) can also exist in Cat Tien.
Some snakes: Malayan Banded Krait, King Cobra, Indochinese Spitting Cobra, Ruby-eyed Green Viper, Vine Snake, Kuri Snakes… When arrive to the lake, some of waterbirds can be seen around these lakes, as well as Siamese Crocodile.
TIPs to remember when birding in Cat Tien National Park?
- Leeches are common residence in Cat Tien National park, so you should prepare some restriction medicine (sprays, creams…). Our services will provide to you the spray for restrict leeches, mosquito…
- The Climate in Cat Tien in the dry season (December to April) is very hot, humid and uncomfortable. So, you must prepare conform clothes, wire-brimmed hats.
- You are not allowed to entrance into the forest after 18:00 pm. So with spotlighting, we will contact with the rangers to arrange your tour. That payment included in your tour cost.
- Hotel inside of national park (control by National park authority) is nice, and very easy for us to wake-up early and go birding.
- Some nice hotel out-side of National park by private owner, but it took your time to move from the hotel to entry the National Park ( wait for the ferry)
- Some people choose “bus” from Ho Chi Minh city to Cat Tien NP, but that way not easy for foreigner, the public bus in Vietnam is noise and dirty, the bus does not stop at the prescribed place but drops around along the way…
Checklist of Birds in Cat Tien : Downdload
How much time should we spend for birdwatching and wildlife tour in Cat Tien?
With birding tour, you need 3 – 4 days, one and a half days in the bird-hide for some nice bird.
Cat Tien National Park have more than 300 birds species, with some highlight: Bar-bellied Pitta, Blue-rumped Pitta, Orange-necked Partridge , Germain’s Peacock Pheasant, Woodly-necked Stork, Pale-headed Woodpecker, Black and Buff Woodpecker, Black and red Broadbill, Dusky Broadbill, Banded Broadbill, Banhded Kingfisher, Green Peafowl, Grey-faced Tit Babbler.
Combine with birding, its take you 4 days for wildlife in Cat tien, Diurnal for birding and primates, Squirrels. And nortunal for herping: frogs, snakes, lizards… You must be ready for good health for this trip.
We can easy to find some Primates in Cat Tien: Yellow-cheeked Gibbon, Black-shanked Douc, Long-tailed Macaque, Northern Pig-tailed Macaque. And more harly targets: Annam Silver Langur, Pygmy loris
More: In Grassland area, we can see Sambar deer, Lesser mousedeer, Red Muntjak, Wild pig and Gaurs
Some snakes : Ruby-eyed Green Viper, Vine Snake, Kuri Snakes… When arrive to the lake, some of waterbirds can be seen around these lakes, as well as Siamese Crocodile.
Or you can arrange your Bird Watching Holidays in Vietnam
Accommodations in Cat Tien National Park
A range of standard accommodation is available at the park headquarters, and it is also possible to stay at Crocodile lake.
Restaurant in Cat Tien: Tre Vang Restaurant with European, Asian, Vietnamese style food. Or you can enjoy more in some restautant out-side of National park.
Forest Floor Lodge is more fancy, it locates at Ben Cu rapid where people can enjoy the view however for most birders they don’t need to stay here
Showing 1–12 of 15 results