The Dalat (Da Lat) Plateau is one of the seven endemic bird areas (EBAs) being identified by BirdLife International in Vietnam. By that reason, Da Lat City plays a significant role when it comes to bird watching in Vietnam with its mixture of coniferous, montane evergreen and secondary forest.
Wildlife photography tours in Vietnam if you are interested in.
Where is Da Lat City located?
Da Lat is the capital of Lam Dong Province and the largest city of Central Highlands region. Further, the city is located 1,500 m (4,900 ft) above sea level on the Langbian Plateau. Da Lat is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Vietnam.
Da Lat is well known for its nice climate and scenic natural beauty as lakes, river, mountains, forests, and waterfalls and also the ideal places for bird watching activity thanks to the diversity of flora and fauna.
What types of bird we can spectate during bird watching trips in Da Lat?
Fortunately, Da Lat’s habitats are a mixture of coniferous, montane evergreen and secondary forest.
Three bird species, Grey-crowned Crocias, Collared Laughingthrush, and Vietnamese Greenfinch, are only to be found within this EBA.
The Dalat Plateau also has distinct subspecies of Spot-breasted Laughingthrush (considered by some authorities as a separate species: Orange-breasted Laughingthrush)
- Vietnamese Cutia
- Black-crowed Fulvetta
- Dalat Shrike Babbler
Meanwhile, you can also spectate other beautiful birds. For example, Blue Pitta, Rusty-naped Pitta, Rufous-throated Partridge, Blue-winged Minla, Rufous-backed and Black-headed Sibias, Black-throated Sunbird and Grey-headed Parrotbill…
How many days should we spend for bird watching in Da Lat City?
As our experienced tour guide, we recommend our customers to spend at least 4 – 5 days for birding in Da Lat and nearby area.
In other words, here is our planned bird watching tour:
5-day bird watching in Di Linh and Bidoup Nui Ba National Park (Da Lat Plateau)
Day 1: Firstly, we arrive at Dalat airport or your hotel in Dalat city. After that, we will drive to Bidoup National Park
- Target birds: Vietnamese Greenfinch (endemic), Vietnamese Crossbill.
- Other birds: Burmese Shrike, Green-backed Tit, Slender-billed Oriole, Chestnut-vented Nuthatch, Grey Bushchat,…
Day 2: After the first day, we can have a full-day birding at Bidoup National Park
- Target birds: Collared Laughingthrush (endemic), Black-crowned Fulvetta (endemic), Grey-bellied Tesia, Spotted Forktail, Slaty-backed Forktail.
- Other birds: Orange-headed Thrush,Pygmy Cupwing, Large Niltava, White-tailed Robin, Snowy-browed Flycatcher, White-browed Scimitar-babbler,…
Day 3: On this day, we’ll have a full-morning birding at Da Lat. In the afternoon, we can drive to Di Linh town (2.5 hours)
- Target birds: Dalat Shrike-babbler (endemic), Grey-crowned Crocias (endemic), Mrs.Gould Sunbird, Indochinese Barbet.
- Other birds: Streak Spiderhunter, Black-headed Sibia, Kloss’s Leaf Wabler, Verditer Flycatcher, Little Pied Flycatcher,
Day 4: Full-day birding at Nui San Pass (near Di Linh town)
- Target birds: Indochinese Green-magpie, Black-headed Parrotbill, Silver-breasted Broadbill.
- Other birds: White-throated Rock-thrush, Siberian Thrush, Blue-throated Blue-flycatcher, Streak-wren Babbler, Orange-headed Thrush, Buff-breasted Babbler, Grey-throated Babbler, Puff-throated Bulbul, Ashy Bulbul, White-bellied Erpornis,…
Day 5: At the end, we’ll have a full-morning birding at Nui San Pass.
- Target birds: Blue Pitta, Blue-rumped Pitta
- Other birds: White-browed Scimitar-babbler, Siberian Blue Robin, Blue-throated Blue-flycatcher, Streak-wren Babbler, Orange-headed Thrush, Buff-breasted Babbler,…
Where else can you spend your holiday during birding in Da Lat?
Best three things not available in Da Lat
Especially, this is the only and unique point of Da Lat that zero location in Vietnam possess.
- No traffic light
- No cyclo
- No air conditioning
What you don’t want to miss when visiting Da Lat?
- The unique maple leaf forest
- In one square meter have many the posing styles for selfie
- Having many most beautiful homestays
- The best baked girdle cake
- The giant pumpkin garden
- The biggest city for flowers
Famous tourist attractions in Da Lat
In addition, due to the natural advantages of the climate as well as the great creativity of the people. Above all, Da Lat has famous places that can’t be compared in any other places in Vietnam.
- The beautiful waterfalls in Dalat are Pongour waterfall
- Elephant waterfall
- Gorgeous lakes in Dalat are Xuan Huong Lake, Tuyen Lam lake. These lakes are located right in the city. The name is poetic as the romantic lake scene, and each lake goes along with an ancient legend.
In conclusion, we hope you can arrange your time for bird watching in Da Lat. Trust me when I tell you that this is an experience of a life time.
Last but not least, if you are looking for bird watching tours in Vietnam especially Da Lat City, please spend a bit of your time below:
Showing all 4 results